Job Title: Centre Manager
Responsible to: Alpha Grove Board of Trustees
Responsible for: Centre Co-ordinator,Staff and Volunteers providing reception and office cover also Cleaning and Caretaking staff.
Salary Scale: £12.00 – £15.00P/H (Depending on experience)
Full time 40 hrs per week excluding meal breaks. Monday – Friday 2PM – 9PM. No overtime is paid but time off in lieu may be taken where appropriate. The Post Holder will be expected to cover and monitor events in the evenings and on weekends.
The Community Centre Manager (the Manager) will play a key role in ensuring the management and smooth running of The Alpha Grove Community Centre. An important aspect of the job is to develop the business, exploit the facilities available and identify new opportunities by means of effective marketing, networking and innovative solutions. Working closely with the Trustees and other staff and local statutory, voluntary and commercial sector organisations, the Manager will work to ensure the Centre is a vibrant, well-managed facility that operates for the benefit of local residents and organisations within a sustainable framework.
The Manager will be given a high degree of autonomy and will be self-motivated. The Board of Trustees, as line manager, will support and mentor the new Manager to aid him/her in achieving their full potential within the role.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To manage the Centre and its staff (Centre Co-ordinator) in accordance with the parameters of and under the direction set by the Trustees.
- To develop and implement procedures for the effective management of the Centre’s staff.
- To promote the use of the Centre by, amongst other things, maintain the Centre’s website, maximise publicity opportunities and liaising with the local media.
- To develop services and facilities in accordance with the aims of Alpha Grove Community Centre Business Plan.
- To develop close working relationships with local partners, particularly Tower Hamlets Council, with whom we currently have a Strategic Partnership Agreement in place, to seek compatibility of activities and delivery of innovative joint ventures.
- To encourage local services and activities to be run from the Centre, for example open days, social events, public meetings, advise services and annual general meetings.
- To develop the services and facilities of the Centre in an entrepreneurial manner.
- To set appropriate hire charges and terms and conditions of hire in consultation with the Trustees.
- To ensure the Centre has an up to date User Induction Pack and procedures for using the Centre.
- To investigate and apply for external funding.
- To maintain an overview of the financial position of the Centre, providing reports to Trustees and statutory bodies when required. This will be achieved with the use of Quickbooks, the Centre’s computerised accounting system, which is operated on a day to day basis by the centre co-ordinator.
- To liaise with all staff and users to ensure the smooth running of the Centre and its activities.
- To ensure, that the building is suitably maintained through the day to day repairs, maintenance programmes and external service contracts.
- To be responsible for health and safety in the building including, in conjunction with the Trustees, the review and updating of policies and procedures.
- To develop and implement constructive working relationships with user groups and volunteers to enhance the services provided and to deliver improvements to the Centre.
- To ensure that services provided by hirers are compatible with the terms of their hire.
- To prepare reports for and attend all Community Centre Trustee and annual general meetings.
Other Related Duties:
- The post holder will also undertake such additional duties as necessary in relation to the work of the community centre.
The Manager will have a strong commitment to helping members of the community get involved with the Centre. The Manager will also need to be self-reliant, energetic, able to work on their own initiative and to prioritise activities.
The continued success of the Centre will depend heavily on the organisational skills of the Manager and their ability to communicate effectively with all members of the community and work alongside colleagues, partners and Trustees.
Skills and Abilities:
- A professional attitude and approach to the management of the Centre
- Excellent communication skills- both written and verbal
- Customer service skills
- Confident, self-motivated, innovative and able to work under pressure
- Good team leadership skills with the ability to develop and support all members of the team
- Able to prioritise work and demands
- Able to work collaboratively
- Understanding of financial budgets
- Able to work flexible hours when required
Education and Training:
- Educated to at least A-level/level 3 or equivalent with a range of relevant qualifications.
- Computer literate with a working knowledge of Word and Excel, and preferably Quickbooks, although training in this area will be provided if required.
- Proven experience in either the voluntary/community sector, business, project management or marketing.
- A strong commitment to community-based services
- Able to work occasional evenings and weekends and attend the Centre at short notice
- Starting salary will be dependent on experience and will rise incrementally and in accordance with achievement of targets.
- Holiday entitlement is 28 days plus Bank Holidays.
- This is not a local government pensionable post, however as and when the Trustees are required to operate the new government workplace pension scheme the post holder will be eligible to be part of that scheme.
- There will be a three-month probationary period, extendable at the Trustees discretion.
Relevant training will be provided, and the Manager will be expected to attend both internal and external training as required.
All applications to be made to:
07414534337 or email firstname.lastname@example.org